Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.
~ Isaiah 6:5
I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
~ Job 42:5-6
When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when he cometh up unto the people, he will invade them with his troops.
~ Habakkuk 3:16
My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
~ James 3:1-2
Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves. Selah.
~ Psalm 88:7
Desponding Thoughts of a Soul under Convictions of Sin, by David Brainerd.
Some gloomy and desponding thoughts of a soul under convictions of sin, and concern for its eternal salvation.
1. I believe my case is singular, that none ever had so many strange and different thoughts and feelings as I.
2. I have been concerned much longer than many others I have known, or concerning whom I have read, who have been savingly converted, and yet I am left.
3. I have withstood the power of convictions a long time; and therefore I fear I shall be finally left of God.
4. I never shall be converted, without stronger convictions, and greater terrors of conscience.
5. I do not aim at the glory of God in any thing I do, and therefore I cannot hope for mercy.
6. I do not see the evil nature of sin, nor the sin of my nature; and therefore I am discouraged.
7. The more I strive, the more blind and hard my heart is, and the worse I grow continually.
8. I fear God never showed mercy to one so vile as I.
9. I fear I am not elected, and therefore must perish.
10. I fear the day of grace is past with me.
11. I fear I have committed the unpardonable sin.
12. I am an old sinner; and if God had designed mercy for me, he would have called me home to himself before now.